24 févr. 2011

Wondering wanderer

Have you ever wondered
wandering through the city?

Have you ever wandered
down the streets
and wondered at it all?

Have you ever wandered
wondering who lived here before?
Who built this?
What happened there?

I have wandered
and wondered
and asked myself
who? what? why? when?

Have you ever wondered
skating on the canal
wondered at the marvel of this work
wondered who cut those stones
who put them there?
Wondered at the sheer size of this work
at the daring of these men.
Wondered
how many died for this?

Have you ever wandered
in the Byward Market
and wondered
how many people have walked
these streets before you?
What did they wear?
What did they buy?
Where did they live?

I do.

I have always wondered
wanted to know more
about these streets
these buildings
these stories.

And now my mind wanders
from now to then and back again
and images of old are superimposed
onto the streets of today.

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire